Saturday, October 13, 2012

2 for the price of 1!


I wrote this yesterday, but it wouldn't let me post so here it is on saturday!

 
“For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.” –Galatians 1:10
            I was reading last night and came across this familiar verse.   I was convicted because I HAVE been trying to please “man”… my students, their parents, the principal, the other teachers… the list goes on.  Just about every lesson I have done has made me wonder “will the kids like me for this lesson, or do I need to make it more fun?” rather than wondering “Is this lesson going to glorify God, and is this what He wants these kids to learn?”
            Ultimately, I just need to remember that the reason I even came here in the first place was to serve God, not to make the kids like me!  Please be praying with me that I will be able to get out of the way and let God work through me! : )
            Parent/teacher conferences are coming up next week and I am both excited and nervous!  Excited because we get a half day of school.. nervous because I have to talk to parents for 15 minutes each!  But the parents are all really great, so I don’t think it will be bad at all!  I just have this fear in the back of my mind that one of them will say “why do you do __________ this way?” but there I go trying to please man again…
            This week has gone by super fast and I can’t believe it is already Friday!   We had “Best Buds” today where a high school student and an elementary student are paired up and they eat lunch together once a month.   They make hotdogs, so I got to have a very American lunch today.. a hotdog, cheez-its and a Capri-sun!! yummy! So good.
            Also, check out the school newspaper! http://www.dakar-academy.org/publications/newspapers/01%20Lions%20Eyes%202012-2013.pdf There is an article about me on page 4.  The day they came in to take pictures of me I was trying so hard not to fall asleep while I was reading!  That week was a sleepy week for me!

And now for my Saturday, so far...
           I drove for the first time ever here today!  I remember thinking “I will never drive on these crazy roads..” but “I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength!”  : ) I only went to my favorite grocery store and back… and on Saturdays the traffic isn’t very bad.  So, it was a good way to start!  The truck had NO power steering, so I definitely got my workout for the day!  I will be happy when I can drive in a regular car on regular streets again.. although I may be a more aggressive driver when I get back.  Who knows...

1 comment:

  1. Lauren, you are growing in the Lord! He is so happy with you. The verse you have posted at the top of your blog is what you are doing. "In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." So glad your driving experience was OK.

    ReplyDelete