Saturday, October 20, 2012

A Really Great Week!!


            I got a package from home this week and it could not have come at a more perfect time!  SO many great fall items and lots of yummy treats!  Half of my class.. so 5 kids.. had not even tried candy corn before!! How sad is that?  So, I shared it with them, but not before they did some candy corn division to earn it! : ) I got 3 of them hooked on it, but the other two said it was just okay! Crazy kids.. and by the way mom, the candy corn m&ms are SOOO YUMMY!  Thank you everyone for the package! It cured my homesickness for just a bit. : )
            Friday.. yesterday.. was the day of parent/teacher conferences!! They went well for the most part, and I am so thankful to have such supportive parents!  Harvest Fest was also yesterday and it was so fun!  Each high school class puts on a big event and this was the Senior class’s event.  They had a bunch of fun games and activities.. big inflatable bowling, sack races, “hay” rides (I would call it more of a “dust ride” though), karaoke, the balance beam thing where you knock people off, zip lining (only for kids) : (, bean bag toss, a jail, sponge throw, toilet flush (kind of like the opposite of a dunk tank, there is a toilet on the top and somebody sitting right under it.  A person throws a baseball at the target and if they hit it, the toilet “flushes” and dumps its water on the person sitting under it.. I wish I would have gotten a picture of it, I don’t know what I was thinking!!), square dancing, cake walk, and probably some others too! and lots of yummy food!  I had a BLT wrap, bacon is a precious item here, so it was a delightful treat!  And even prizes!
            So, the first thing I did of course was the cake walk.  We got a group of people together and decided to split the winnings.. that way we were guaranteed to win.  We made a mistake when we went inside to look at all the cakes, because by the time we did that, another group had already gone and they took the cake we wanted!!! It looked SO GOOD. Chocolate ganache : ( but we got some chocolate cupcakes instead, and they were good too! And easier to split up between us.  Then, some boys came up to me and said “Are you Miss Fisher?” and I said “nope” because I KNEW they were going to take me to jail.  And they grabbed my arms and took me anyway!! Can you even believe it? Throwing teachers in jail.. rude.  I guess I should explain this whole jail thing.. you can pay to have anybody you want thrown in jail.  Unless you are in 1st grade and your teacher tells you that you aren’t allowed to put your teacher in jail… but, 4th graders don’t believe that!  So then they come and take you.  Some people put up a big fight.. but I decided I just wasn’t going to win.  So I paid my 5 minute sentence, and all my students got their jollies.  At least I got it over with early, right? Not.. more to come!
            After getting out of jail, I went and played a few games and then ate my BLT wrap and pasta salad.   As I was eating, the boys came back and said “I’m sorry, Miss Fisher, we are taking you to jail again.” Luckily, I was sitting with some smart ladies who told them about real life meal reprieves or something.. so they told me I could come after I ate. Phew.  Well, by the time I got there, somebody else had given me even MORE jail time.. so I had to stay in for 10 minutes that time.  And there were a lot of unruly prisoners that time, kicking up sand and making me cranky.. not really, but I was a little annoyed.  And all I could think about was when one of my students came to school with a note from her mom that said she had worms in her feet from running around in the dust.  They had originally thought they were mosquito bites, but she had to start taking medicine to get rid of the words.  I could just feel the worms crawling around in my feet.  As I watched this tiny 1st grader slip through the jail bars, I wished I had not eaten that piece of apple pie at lunch… but it was so yummy and it was to celebrate a birthday, so it would have been wrong of me not to.  Anyway, I finally got out, and had a yummy blizzard!!  You are probably getting pretty jealous of this event by now! : )
            I did the cake walk with a different group.. this time we had our eyes on a pumpkin cake.. and by the time we won, the group before us was walking out of the office with our cake! so we were stuck with the very last cake.. an upside down apricot cake.  I'm sure it will be delicious?
            Then we did the sack races, got our faces painted, watched some square dancing, went on the dust ride.. it totally reminded me of something we would do at camp! They took a quad and hooked up a trailer to it.. put some mats down on the trailer and then just went around and around on the field! Super fun, but I couldn’t smile or laugh or talk because then I would swallow so much dirt! Then we got some super cool slap bracelets with our tickets from the game and some yummy snowcones and then it was time for square dancing!  Let me just tell you, we were the best square of dancers on the dance floor.  Not really.. we were fine when it was the basic square dancing.. but then they tried to add all the grand allemandes and that’s when we got messed up.  It probably had to do with the fact that we were all girls, so we were getting confused about the man’s part and woman’s part.  Even with our mustaches, we couldn’t quite get into character.  And I was partners with another mustache, so we were two girls confused as men, and it just wasn’t working out.. but I bet we had the most fun out of all the squares of dancers, so that’s what counts!  Then I had to go pay my time in the sponge throw and they were letting people throw sponges at me without even paying! Rude! Oh well.. then this little boy stands 6 inches from me and throws the sponge at me.. and picks it up and puts it right in my mouth right when I was about to call him a “dirty rotten cheater”.  He washed my mouth out before I even had the chance to chew him out!  But then, he decided he wanted to see what it was like, so I got out of the rest of my shift.. most of the kids had gone home by that point anyway.. next time I will sign up for the first shift when the water and sponges are still somewhat clean.
            Then, I went home and took a 3 hour nap and woke up to watch my giants, and I got to see Lance mess the whole game up and I couldn’t be more proud of Zito bunting that run in!! I thought with two outs, they were just going to have to be happy with 3 runs, but he did it! Yay!! So good!           

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are getting to watch the Giants! I love your blogs. Miss you and love you lots.

    ReplyDelete