Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Little Things...


            About a week ago, during read aloud time, 2 of my students were having some issues deciding where the territory line was on their desks.  As they were fighting over whose property was whose, I had one of them move to the back of the room and continued reading.  I didn’t think it was a big deal, but then the other one starts crying!  So I send him outside to collect himself.  I read for about 5 more minutes and then it was time for Chapel.  We take our backpacks to the shelter before going to Chapel, because school is over right after Chapel.  So, on the way to the shelter, I had a conversation with the boy who was crying.  He said “Can I stay here?” and I said “no, we need to all stay together!”  I have to admit I was a little annoyed that he was making this a WAY huger deal than it should have been.  So he says “I just can’t go to chapel.. my arm hurts.”  And shows me this TINY little pink mark. Sigh.
            So, I told him to go to the office to see if they could do anything for him (I feel bad for the office people most of the time… but for some reason students feel better when they go to the office even if nothing can be done, they just feel like they are being validated.. so whatever)  anyway, I told him to get some ice or whatever and then join us in chapel. 
            Well, he decided to call his mom using his cell phone.. and she comes to the school furious and talks to the principal.. and I was a little bit afraid I was going to get fired, but really, how bad would that be? Then I would get to go home! Okay, just kidding.  I didn’t ACTUALLY think I would be fired, but I was scared.
            So, I was feeling VERY nervous for this student’s parent/teacher conference because I didn’t know if mom would still be angry about the situation.. but then today this student was absent and his mom came to get some work for him and she was so nice and friendly with no hint of bitterness!
            Praising God for the little things he does to remind us that HE is in control! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment