Monday, August 6, 2012

I hold the keys!

Today, I got the keys to my first ever classroom!!! how crazy is that???
I am super excited! All the elementary doors are a different color.. mine is purple.. for Justin Bieber!!! :) AND, my classroom has air conditioning!! sooo wonderful!!! I am thinking that when the power goes out, I will just walk to my classroom and sleep in the blessed air conditioning.  Although, i guess the power has to be on for the air conditioning to work. so before i leave for the day i will turn it waaayyyy down to about 5 degrees... (we speak celsius here) (I dont even know what 5 degrees celsius equals in fahrenheit it just sounds cold enough) and then when i come back it will be juuuuuust right!
so anyway.. all the cabinets and stuff inside (even the water buckets) are purple! The room is pretty small, but I think it will be perfect, especially cause I have no idea how I'm going to decorate it (ideas, suggestions, anyone???) The curtains are kind of hideous, but in a very lovely way.  They are orangeish brownish greenish with framed zebras scattered all over... very african :)
So, I have a lot of work to do in my classroom, but I can't wait to get it all set up and meet all my students!! I talked with the third grade teacher last night (she is my neighbor) and she was telling me some of the info on all the kids. She said one of the challenging kids left last year, YAHOO!! but, there is still one in the class.. but thats okay! I can handle one.. I think!  I am just praying that maybe she has changed big time over the summer!!
We had new staff orientation today.. so lots of meetings.  One of the ladies did a really good devotion.  The staff takes turns doing devotions, and I am toward the top of the list!! WHY would they do that to me?  TEN MINUTES!! i know how to talk to kids, but not really to adults... eeks! okay so anyway... meetings meetings meetings today.  Nothing really too exciting to report I don't think!
We just got back from dinner at the apartment directly under us.  I am so thankful that the other staff members are providing dinners for us this whole next week! They are taking such good care of us!! The people we ate with tonight used to live on the first floor and were telling us stories about their old apartment... I AM SO GLAD WE ARE NOT ON THE FIRST FLOOR!! They had HUGE cockroaches!! yuck!! and lots of mosquitoes.. Thank the Lord that we are on the 3rd floor!  Lots of exercise!  Although.. the other day I bought a huge 19 liter water bottle because I just can't stand the way the "filtered water" tastes! So, luckily when i bought it we were in a car and one of the men who lives in our building carried it up the stairs for me. BUT when i have to get it refilled, I will probably have to walk from the store to the apartment.. so I better start working my muscles out now!
anyway.. as a summary: i. love. air. conditioning.

2 comments:

  1. I've heard somewhere that catnip is a natural cockroach repellent... but I don't know if you have catnip over there! Or cockroaches on the third floor.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 degrees is 41 degrees Fahrenheit. :) So that may be a little too cold for you my dear. :) -Love you and miss you lots!

    ReplyDelete