Monday, August 13, 2012

monday, tuesday, WEDNESDAY!

More meetings today... but the one good thing about the meetings was the pop (or should i say POOP???) quiz about traveller's diarrhea that the nurse gave us. I like her.. for obvious reasons :)
I love when people have birthdays.. There were two this week and one of the ladies made some delicious cakes... YUM! I wish birthdays happened every month.  But then everybody would be twelve times as old. Yikes.
After the cake, I had a plethora of energy to work on my classroom.  It is looking GOOD.  I am so excited!!    I was finding a lot of ways to take breaks though, and on one of my breaks I went to the office to make some copies and as I was walking down the hall, the office lady said "THERE SHE IS!!!" very excitedly.  One of my students was there visiting and I got to meet her!!! :) She is such a cutie! She shook my hand and said "nice to meet you!" What 4th grader does that???  Let's see if she's still like that when her parents aren't around. :) The rest of the day, I was just so excited I couldn't handle it!
Also.. I introduced myself as "Ms. Fisher" it felt sooo weird!
We now have a class pet, which I'm not too excited about.  He (or she... IT. it doesnt deserve to have a gender)  IT is a cockroach. a HUGE one. ewwww.  Im just glad it wasn't in my house.  I can handle it being in my classroom, but if it was in my house.. I would hang a hammock on my ceiling and sleep in there.. because cockroaches can't climb walls. (don't correct me, just let me live in a happy false world).  
Right when I was about to leave (I decided 5:45 was a good quitting time), a knock came on my classroom door!  I opened the door and two adorable little people were standing there.  One of the teacher's kids (an 8th grader and a 5th grader) had come to see if I needed any help.  How could I leave at this point when I still had a lot to do and two willing helpers?  So, I put them to work and then left around 6:30.
I came back to the apartment to find a PARTY going on!!!!! Okay, not really.  But one of the guys was trying to set up our internet, and it wasn't working.  Our neighbors were also over trying to help figure it out.  But anyway, we still don't have internet.  Luckily, My computer has an unsecured network that I would be happy to use for the rest of the year, but Ruthanne wants to get real internet.. but why is it so expensive here? 60 dollars a month! just for internet! oh well..
We are experimenting tonight with a recipe in the missionary cookbook we got.. pancakes in the oven.  hmm. I am so hungry, though, I would eat our pet cockroach!  Okay.. not really. I would rather starve to death than eat a cockroach! sick! 
Okay!! love to you all!!

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps you could tame your classroom pet and use IT for transportation to school. If IT was tame IT would wait patiently for you out doors at home or school. (Jack's idea) Keep the news coming on you blog!! Love you lots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just wondering why it is Ms. Fisher instead of Miss Fisher? Also what is an oven pancake like? Why would anyone who lives in a hot place like Dakar, with no air-conditioning, want to use their oven for pancakes when you could just cook them in a skillet like usual and not have to create unnecessary additional heat in your home?
    I am happy to hear you are excited about your classroom and meeting your students and your first year of teaching......keep up the enthusiasm! Can't wait to see more pictures of your classroom, and the kids! And to encourage you a bit, one thing I've noticed is that classroom pets often don't survive long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. if i used IT as transportation, IT would know where I lived!! no thank you!!! yucko!!!!
    and i dont know the diff between ms. and miss. but ms. is easier to write and i say it "miss" not "mizzz" i hate when people say "mizzz"
    and about the pancakes.. it was in a cookbook. i think you are one of the only people in the world with the oven rule. either way, its hot in our house. 5 degrees doesnt make much of a diff!! and thanks for that bit of encouragement!

    ReplyDelete