Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Maybe it's Time to Get a Mosquito Net


            There were little spots of blood on my sheets this morning.. those stupid mosquitoes are not fighting fairly!!  They make me so angry!  Speaking of sheets, if you ever live in Africa, do NOT use white (or off white sheets)  I don’t know how they decided white would be good, but I have had multiple experiences which have proven they are NOT good.  One day I washed my sheets and hung them up to dry, and then when I took them down there was a streak of dirt where they were hanging on the clothesline!!! Ugh! I guess I should have wiped the clothesline off first, but who even thinks to do that?? And then, the mosquitoes being messy with their bloodsucking.. and also, sometimes on Tuesdays (before Josephine comes on Wednesday to clean) the floor is just pretty dirty and i don’t always remember to wash my feet before I jump on my bed, so I have footprints all over my sheets until I wash them again!  Big sigh.
            Although, I must say, an even bigger mistake than putting white sheets on a bed in Africa is not bringing flip flops to Africa.  This one I can’t blame on anyone but myself.   And the humidity.  It is mostly the humidity’s fault and this is why:  When I was packing, I thought to myself “I definitely need to bring flip flops” but, as my bags started filling up, the flip flops just kept getting pushed to the side because I thought “well, I’m going to be at school most of the time, and flip flops just aren’t very professional.”  Well, guess what? I don’t care anymore! I would totally wear flip flops to school every day, because right now I usually wear my goofy water shoes to school every day, and they usually don’t match and people probably think I’m kind of a weirdo.  I brought two pairs of sandals, but they just take so much work to put on!! One of them has TWO pairs of straps on each shoe, and the other one just has one.. but flip flops just sound like the best thing ever right now.  Okay, so back to the humidity.  Eventually, my bags got full and in all honesty, I probably could have fit just one little pair of flip flops in, but I just wasn’t thinking.  My hair dryer and straightener took up SO MUCH room, and I don’t even use them here!! I used them the first few days, but after about an hour, my hair just looked horrible anyway, so what’s the point??  Therefore, logically speaking, it is the humidity’s fault that I did not bring flip flops because if it wasn’t so humid, I would be able to do my hair and the blow dryer and straightener would be useful tools, but since it is humid, the blow dryer and straightener sit in a drawer in my room never being used, and the flip flops sit in my closet in a far away land.. Redding, getting no use as well. 
            So, as you can see, I have been learning a lot, and I just wanted to share my knowledge with you all.  Just in case you are ever in a situation where you need to decide between white sheets and black sheets.. choose black, 100% of the time… and when you need to decide between hair supplies and flip flops, choose flip flops always.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the advise about hair supplies vs flip flops! :) love you!

    ReplyDelete